Saturday, May 4, 2013

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2013

ZOMG you guys, it's FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!


For serious, folks, this is one of the only holidays I'm orthodox about.

Money's a little tight this year, so I'll likely just hit my usual haunt, Chris' Cards and Comics and grab some free swag (and buy a little something too. You should always buy something on Free Comic Book Day!). I was hoping to do something a bit more epic, but there's always next year.

-------

In 2012, I played a weekend's worth of rap shows with my nerdy homies, and gave away something like 150 free comics.



-------

In 2011, my wife and I drove up and down the New England Seacoast, hitting as many sales as we could, and searching for an elusive and exclusive Heroclix figure.

-------

In 2010, my buddy/super-famous artist Collin David drove out from NY and we had some zany comic-store adventures, made a lot of bad jokes, ate a lot of sushi, and got sunburns. You can read his writeup of the day here on Collectors Quest.

-------

In 2009, my friend Jess came out to visit, and we tried very hard not to spend all our money, though I failed a little bit. Also, 2009 was the last year that I threw one of my epic digital parties in the sadly-departed world of City of Heroes. This was a tradition for 3 years straight, and it was always a lot of fun. I still miss coming up with ideas for silly contests and stuff.




-------

2008 was the first year I really explored the comic store scene where I live. Since moving out here, I had become an online-ordering type, and really was feeling the need to dig into some brick-and-mortar comic shops again. So I went to... ALL OF THEM. And then saw the first Iron Man movie in the theater with my wife. It was a good time. I made a brief post about it on my old blog.


  

-------

What are some adventures you've had on FCBD? If you aren't having adventures, you're doing it wrong.

2 comments:

  1. FCBD with you was awesome! I loved making it an all-day thing, and I can still remember my winning haiku celebrating Galacto-Man's glory.

    What the Heroclix figure in 2011?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a Green Lantern (http://www.hcrealms.com/units/an200.jpg) which I ended up giving to P.T. Burnem a year later because he was very much in need of a Hal Jordan.

      Maybe next year we can do FCBD together again. :D

      Delete