Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesdaybusiness: 2/13/13

So, um... I actually found myself with very little to say about this week's offerings. I guess if I try to maintain this as weekly column, that's bound to happen from time to time...

-------

Cable and X-Force #4 by Dennis Hopeless and Salvador Larroca


I've read every issue of this series as it's come out, and every month, immediately after reading the new issue, I completely forget everything that happened. There's like, some non-linear story-telling, and a few boring characters like Forge who aren't doing much, and I think Cable can see the future or something? This issue also introduced a charming new aspect: The villains (who seem to have no character or motivation yet?) are transforming people into FAT PEOPLE! That's it, I guess. So Colossus punched some fat people, and there were a lot of jokes about fat people, and the end.

This book is coming along after a string of truly amazing and groundbreaking X-Force books, so I'm judging it a bit harshly, but... C'mon, man. Fat-phobia is played the fuck out.

-------

Fantastic Four #4 by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley



This one's hard to review because all I can really say about Matt Fraction's current run on the main Fantastic Four book is "I like it." I have more Opinions™ about his FF series (which is SO much fun, you guys), but this series is - despite the renumbering - basically just a continuation of what Hickman was doing. Which is exactly what I wanted to be.


Issue #4 is a nice little Valentine's Day story. Reed paints a pretty picture of his family in a cave. It's sweet, in a traveling-through-the-unexplored-multiverse sort of way.

-------

Avengers Arena #4 by Dennis Hopeless and Alessandro Vitti

 

First, let me say that nowhere in this book does X-23 fight Darkhawk. It just doesn't happen. A couple of the Runaways fight a couple of the Avengers Academy kids, but that's SO not what the cover would indicate. Darkhawk literally was not even in this issue. There is a lot of sensationalism inherent to the very concept of this comic.

Though as much as the concept of this book hinges on that "WHO WILL DIE?" sensationalism, and as much as the concept of this book is ridiculously derivative of Battle Royale and The Hunger Games - to the point where they just outright say it in the first issue - I still am having a lot of fun reading it. I didn't think I would when I first saw the pitch, but the inclusion of Arcade made me want to give it a try. I'm interested to see where this series goes... if anywhere.

-------

Secret Avengers #1 by Nick Spencer and Luke Ross


This book was... okay. It's trying to bring Movie Stuff into the comics, which is kind of cool, I guess. Agent Coulson, Nick Fury Junior (who's suddenly looking a lot like Samuel L. Jackson), and Maria Hill are sending Black Widow and Hawkguy on ZOMG TOP SECRET missions with mind-erasing nanorobots in their brains for... reasons? Reasons that are shadier than they appear?


It was a decent first issue, and it had some great Hawkguy moments, but I don't know quite how I feel about S.H.I.E.L.D. being treated as shady and pseudo-evil. The writing and art are both pretty solid, so I'll definitely stick with this one and see how it plays out.

-------

Uncanny X-Men #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo


And then Bendis decided to kick off a brand new X-Men series by having Magneto sit around in a small room with Maria Hill and talk about Cyclops.

The new costumes are kind of cool.

*cough*

-------

Katana #1 by Ann Nocenti and Alex Sanchez



Okay you guys, I tried to read a Nü52 book. I tried, you guys. I figured that for all my rhetorical bluster, I really ought to support this most rarest of beasts: A comic about a woman written by a woman.

But man oh man, it was SO BORING. The story noodled its way along without ever really saying anything, and the art was fiddly and distracting. I skimmed the last few pages because I couldn't force myself to care. Also, I think the main character had a sex dream about her sword? The whole thing was muddy and unclear.

It's worth noting that I've always considered myself a "DC Person".


No comments:

Post a Comment